Saturday, December 03, 2005

How could I have been so selfish? How could I have been so blind to the possibility that she might actually have it worse than I did? It never even occurred to me that that could be the case! But yesterday, it was clear to me - when she told me that. She said it nonchalantly, and I reacted the same, but inside, inside, I was anything but 'chalant', and I'm sure she wasn't either. But I didn't know how to react, or rather, I didn't know what would be the best outward reaction for her too see, so I put on a poker face - I figured I can't go wrong with that. And I continued to talk with her easily, as if she hadn't just told me something that made me feel like someone had punched me in the gut. But that was then, and now I'm left with now. Now I'm left with agonizing over what to do - feeling like I have a responsibility. It's clear to me that I can no longer afford the comfort of believing that things are not so bad because she never complains. No matter how many smiles she puts on, and no matter how convincing they are, I can't let myself be fooled by it. It's the easy thing to do. It's the comfortable thing to do. It's the wrong thing to do. But what's the right thing?

No comments: