Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I called her an idiot.
It was inadvertent,
I wasn't even sure,
After I hung up,
That I had really done it.
But then a little later,
When I called her again,
And she said "hello,"
Her voice sounded different.
(For a second, I thought
Maybe the dybuk finally left,)

So I said "who is this?"
And she answered
"It's me, the eediot"
(That dybuk's never going to relocate.)
So I became very apologetic
"Oh, did I really say that?
I was spaced out,
I didn't know
What I was saying."
And then I apoligized
Ever so sweetly,
Ever so sincerely,
Ever so Oscar-worthily,
But truthfully,
I regretted
That I had taken a step back
In settling the score.
Last time I counted,
In order to break even,
I owe her
1,644 "you eediot"s,
3,293 "you slob"s
And 58 "bitch"es.
Plus a few more
Minor odds and ends.
But I'm starting to think
That at the rate I'm going,
This is just not going to happen
And anyway,
Revenge is not my thing.
And anyway,
I don't think it'll help
To lessen my pain.
But maybe
Writing about it
Will.

7 comments:

Pragmatician said...

Boy is she insulted easily...

Genendy said...

Yeah, some people are very sensitive when it comes to themselves, but not when it comes to others.

David_on_the_Lake said...

I cannot talk because I have nothing in my life to compare your situation to...
Wow..is she that bad?
You're amazing that you have the patience and the fortitude to hold your (talented) tongue...

Genendy said...

"Wow..is she that bad?"

No, she's worse.

I don't know if it's so much the patience and fortitude as much as it is the fear. But maybe I get some credit for it upstairs anyway :).

And thanks for the compliments David, both on my blog and yours.

FrumGirl said...

Sisterly love at its best. I admit I am a little jealous... my sister and I lack the closeness to generate such interaction. Enjoy it because it is real.

Bonnie B said...

Doesn't your tongue hurt from holding it for so long? But you know even though it is often hard, it is better tot ake the higher road and then make your pen scream across the page along the way.

Genendy said...

bonnie - And sometimes you don't really have a choice, so the only thing you CAN do is make your pen scream across the page.